Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Spicy Shrimp with Gouda Mashed Potatoes


For the past few days, Blake has been out of town and I have reverted back to my old bachelorette ways. Hours of reading, watching movies of questionable substance, and long walks. I know what you're all thinking. Take it easy there. Just because your husbands gone doesn't mean you need to be so wild and crazy. I will try and reign it in.

As a bachelorette, I can tell you I still went all out when it came to cooking. I have always loved food. So what if I'm only cooking for myself, I still want to eat a delicious meal. So this week I made myself spicy shrimp with gouda mashed potatoes. 

I ate approximately 5 potatoes all by myself in two meals. If you told me I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it may very well be potatoes. Mashed, baked, or fried potatoes take the cake for me. Or bread. Anything starchy and devoid of nutritional value apparently. Even better if the potatoes contain gouda. Lots of gouda. And even better still if some spicy shrimp rest atop my massive potato mound. The mashed potatoes below are purple because purple potatoes were what I had in the farm share. High starch potatoes are best for mashing so russets or yukon golds should be your go to here. Cook this comforting meal for a friend or family or yourself. Good food should be enjoyed always. 

Spicy Shrimp with Gouda Mashed Potatoes
Serves 4, adapted from How Sweet Eats

Gouda mashed potatoes
2 pounds yukon gold or russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and peeled 
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup half and half 
1/2 cup gouda, shredded 
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil for 30-40 minutes. Once easily pierced with a knife drain the potatoes into a colander. 

Put drained potatoes back in the pot, add butter, half and half, gouda, salt, and pepper, and mash together. Mash until your prefered consistency. I still like mine with a few lumps.

Spicy shrimp
1 pound shrimp, peeled, veined, and patted dry with a paper towel (you can buy them peeled an veined at most grocers) 
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp lemon pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves of garlic, minced

In a small bowl, whisk together chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, lemon pepper, and salt. Sprinkle spice mixture over the shrimp and toss with hands or large spoon to coat. 

In a large saute pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Let the butter brown slightly, swirly the pan occasionally to prevent burning. Add the shrimp and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until pink. About 2 minutes before your shrimp are done add the garlic and finish cooking.

To serve
2 ears of corn, grilled or boiled and removed from the husk 

Serve shrimp and corn over the mashed potatoes. Some hot sauce is a good addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment