Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Greek Chicken and a Note on Marriage


In your first year of marriage, people often ask how you're enjoying married life. My answer? It's a lot like it was before. Heck, I have known Blake for 8 years. We dated 3 years before we got married. What could be all that surprising or different? It still annoys me that he is challenged when it comes to picking up after himself. It still annoys him that I always leave one small bite left of whatever I was eating. And I am still just as thoroughly taken by him as I was the night of our first date. His smile, enthusiasm for knowledge, and frumpled zombie like demeanor in the morning still get me. The way he opened the door for me, took me by the hand, and showed me how great an adventure this life could be. That was pretty spectacular too. Wow, right? Wow, indeed.

Then one day we are driving home from lunch where we split a sandwich and a salad and Blake says, "we should split lunch like that more often". And I smile like he has just said the most romantic thing to me, which in a way he has. What a married thing to do. It reminded me that since we became married this life is ours. When he is not around, I feel off kilter. My plans, my adventures only now have real meaning, if he's apart of them. So now when asked how I'm enjoying married life I know my answer. Married life is fantastic. I now have someone to split a salad and sandwich with until the end of eternity. Oh, and someone who makes home feel like home, who I can see the world with, and share a vision of the future, our future. 

So all of this is why I am sharing greek chicken with you today. Greek chicken is possibly the most made dish in this household. It comes from my mother. It reminds me of home and family. Greek chicken is easy to make and so delicious. Garlicky browned chicken swims in a sauce of marinated artichoke hearts, tomatoes, olives, dill, and feta. Serve over couscous with a green vegetable side and you have yourself a well rounded meal. A favorite in this home. 

Greek Chicken
Serves 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
3 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cans of marinated artichoke hearts
1/4 cup of olives, pitted and halved
1 tsp dill
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 cup feta
1 package of couscous prepared according to package directions

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large saute pan. Add garlic and cook stirring frequently for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook 3-4 minutes until slightly broken down, stirring occasionally. Add artichoke hearts with the marinade, olives, dill, and pepper, stir until combined, and cook until warmed (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat, add the feta, and stir. Serve over couscous. 



No comments:

Post a Comment