Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Roasted dill potato salad


You know what I love? When spring decides to come early and by early, I mean January. Good old Colorado is giving us weeks in the 60s. Literally weeks. I have forgotten it's winter. In fact, I keep thinking it's March but it is most definitely not March. It's a little alarming really. In a state where we rely on snowpack to keep us going through the summer, we could really use the return of winter. But it is not in my hands to decide the weather and I quite love 60 degrees so I am going to enjoy it.

Yesterday we hiked to 10,000 feet on mostly dry trails. Once again not exactly what we want to see in February but we had fun. The sun was shining. It's porch weather. One day this week I gave myself the luxury of sitting on the porch in the sun and reading for a couple of hours. I'm about to put up the hammock, uncover the grill, and try to find some watermelon. 

I will hold off though and leave the joys of summer for May. For now, I will strike a happy balance with this roasted potato salad. A very happy balance, as I deem this potato salad to be awesome. A new favorite. Potato salad is undoubtedly a summer picnic item but roasting the potatoes in the oven makes it a winter friendly salad. How versatile. This salad is creamy with only a dab of mayo. Roasting the potatoes with the garlic creates that wonderful sweet garlic flavor. Combine that with a generous sprinkle of dill and we have ourselves a winner for winter spring.

Roasted dill potato salad
Serves 4, adapted from my favorite Date Night In

1 pound red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
2 garlic cloves, rough chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 1/2 tablespoons grainy mustard
3 tablespoons dill

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Layout a large sheet of aluminum foil on the counter and pour the potatoes in the center. Wrap up tightly. This may call for another sheet of foil for reinforcement.

Roast for 40 minutes, until tender. Cool potatoes for 10 minutes.

Whisk together the red onion, mayo, mustard, and dill.

Toss with the warm potatoes with mayo mixture and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment