Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Blueberry lemon pancake bars


I'm itching for an adventure. I'm ready for the road. I want the Utah desert. I want that quiet. I want those ethereal rocks. I want to feel small below grand arches. Instead what I have is snow, snow, and more snow.

Snow and I are now done. I can almost make it to March with my resolve to appreciate snow and then I fold. That little snowflake symbol occupies almost every day of the 10 day forecast. I must make the best of it. 

This weekend in the snow, I read almost all 800 pages of The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. I really liked this book. It's completely different. It unravels a series of mysterious events in a New Zealand mining town in the late 1800s. It's intriguing and engaging. If you have some spare time, I would definitely invest it in this book. 

I also baked blueberry lemon pancake bars on this snowy weekend and my world as I know it will never be the same again. I love pancakes but I hate flipping them. It takes too much time. The genius over at The Kitchn who decided to take pancake batter and bake it into a big casserole dish will never know how much I love her. These baked pancake bars result in all the tasty fluffy delight of a pancake with none of the hassle. This week I have been so excited to wake up, warm up my pancake bar in the microwave, and douse it in maple syrup. Pancakes for breakfast every morning. What a dream.

Blueberry lemon pancake bars
Adapted from The Kitchn, makes 10-12 bars

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries

Grease a 9" by 13" baking dish.

In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In another medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, buttermilk, butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add blueberries and mix in with a spatula.

Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and let rest while you preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until just browning the edges and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment