Monday, January 19, 2015

Greek lamb tostadas


This week I turned 29. Whoa. As many have pointed out to me, turning 29 means next year I will be 30. Forget 29. It's just a precursor to being 30.

Except I beg to differ. This year is the last year of my twenties. Every year in your twenties seems to bring new and significant life events. When I was 22, I graduated from college. When I was 23, I began dating (again) the guy I would marry. When I was 25, we would move in together. When I was 26, Blake proposed in mountains. When I was 27, we were  married in those mountains. When I was 28, I completed my master's degree. My twenties brought so many amazing life changing adventures.

So I plan on taking 29 by storm. I will be young and reckless. Or at least my version of young and restless, which includes endless outdoor adventures, a Canada road trip, staying up past my bedtime with a good book, and lots of good food, wine, and beer.

The good food is nothing new, of course. Good food always. These greek lamb tostadas are really good food. I love lamb. I also love tzatziki. In the past two weeks, we enjoyed these tostadas and my favorite chicken souvlaki smothered with extra garlicky tzatziki. The ground lamb in this dish is packed full of warming spices. Served over a crispy pita with lettuce, tomatoes, feta, and olives, this dish reminds me of a greek version of a taco salad. Good, simple, eats.

Greek lamb tostadas 
Serves 4, adapted from Date Night Out

Spiced lamb
Zest from 1 lemon
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound ground lamb

Tzatziki
1 cup 2% milk greek yogurt
1/2 medium cucumber, diced
1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon dried dill
2 tablespoons fresh mint
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Tostadas
4 pita breads
1 head chopped romaine
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup olives, halved
Feta

You can season the lamb 1 day to 2 hours in advance. It's not a huge deal if you miss this step and do it right before. Whisk together cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, oregano, cinnamon, mint, and red pepper flakes. Mix seasoning together with lamb using your hands. Store covered in the fridge, until ready for use.

To make the tzatziki stir together the yogurt, cucumber, vinegar, lemon juice, clove, dill, mint, honey, salt, and pepper.

Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium high heat. Once hot add the lamb, breaking it up with a spatula. Cook about 8-10 minute until slightly browned and cooked through. Drain oil.

Toast the pitas in a toaster. On top of the pita layer lamb, lettuce, tomatoes, feta, cucumber, olives, and tzatziki.

No comments:

Post a Comment