Saturday, January 24, 2015

Crispy baked oven fries


Today we are going to talk about fries. What a good day. In my house, we are no stranger to fries. Ask me about restaurants in Boulder and it's very possible I will report to you first on the quality of their fries. That is, if they are the kind of restaurants that serve fries, which is to say the best kind of restaurant.

Mountain Sun. If we were to have a discussion about my favorite restaurants in Boulder, this would top my list. The beer, the service, and the food all combine to create a magical experience of warmth and comfort. Then we have the fries. These are no frills fries. Pure, unadulterated fries at their pinnacle. Some of their fries come out crispier and others a little soft. They have a nice golden brown glow.These fries are not to be missed.

The thing about fries though, if we are being honest, is we can't enjoy their fried in oil goodness all the time and not be concerned about our hearts. Enter the baked oven fry. The baked oven fry is a real art. I have made countless batches seeking to attain that crispy golden exterior. These oven fries will not disappoint. The secret is cornstarch. It gives them the crisp we desire. They are almost as satisfying and wonderful as their fried counterpart. Almost.

Crispy baked oven fried 
Serves 4

3 medium sized russet potatoes, cut into 1/2" fry strips
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

I cut square fries but really any 1/2" thick shape will work. To cut square fries, I cut a little slice off the top, bottom, and sides of the potato to make it more of a square shape to start. Then I halve the potato lengthwise. From the half, I slice lengthwise every 1/2" to get my rough square fry.

In a large bowl, sprinkle cornstarch over the potatoes and stir until all the fries are coated. Add your oil and stir until coated. Finally, add your salt and pepper and stir until coated.

Line a baking sheet with parchment. Spread potatoes evenly over the baking sheet.

Bake 40-45 minutes, flipping halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment