Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Garlic roasted broccoli


 

Snow and I had another meeting of the minds this weekend. In my attempt to enjoy snow, I feel I'm coming up short. It's still cold. It hides ice and takes me out on runs. Snow is not reciprocating my attempts to bond. I suppose all relationships take time.

I did have a little break through with snow this weekend on my run. Up in the foothills it fell in big fat idyllic flakes around me. It seemed kind of nice so I pulled out my earphones to appreciate the serenity. It was oh so quiet. 

What is it about snow that makes the world so quiet? It must be science. Does the snow absorb sound? The more likely theory, the thing that I can embrace about snow, is that people tend to stay cozy at home. Snow makes people start a fire, drink hot chocolate, read a book, watch a movie, or play games. Or at least that is what I like to think. It makes me like snow a little more. I certainly enjoyed it in that quiet moment in the hills. 

When I came home from my run, in my snow appreciation mood, I was committed to roasting something in the oven. I made this roasted broccoli that night and about five time since. It may be the only way I eat broccoli moving forward. That or covered in cheese. Either are viable options. 

I imagine many of you didn't even click on this post. Roasted broccoli. How boring! It's not though. I promise. Side dishes often are neglected. Why must we eat boring vegetables? I say starting today we take a stand. Moving forward we cannot and will not eat dismal broccoli. Roasting broccoli takes no more thought than steaming and it improves the flavor tenfold. It slightly crisps the edges giving the broccoli a toasty sweet flavor. In this version, I add garlic but you could slice lemons over the top and roast it all together or season it with anything under the sun. Very versatile. Very good. 

Garlic roasted broccoli 
Serves 4

2 pounds broccoli 
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon granulated sugar 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Chop each broccoli floret from main stem. Stir garlic and oil together in a medium bowl. Add broccoli to the bowl and toss to coat with oil and garlic. Sprinkle sugar, salt, and pepper over the top and stir. 

Spread broccoli over a baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes stirring halfway.  


No comments:

Post a Comment