Saturday, July 5, 2014

Spiced Vanilla Bean Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles


It's hot! We need popsicles and we need them now. Popsicles are fun. You can stick almost anything in a popsicle mold and freeze it. Thus far I have made chocolate raspberry pudding popsicles and these spiced vanilla bean strawberry yogurt popsicles.

I considered making blueberry, strawberry, and vanilla ice cream popsicles for the 4th of July but instead I made an American flag cake. I impressed myself, when I cut into the vanilla bean cake and it did indeed look like a flag. Hopefully I impressed the friends we had over too because I baked layer upon layer of that cake on a ninety degree day. So that too was hot. Hence we come back to the need for popsicles. I just took us in a great big circle.

A slightly offset American flag

These popsicles are inspired by the spiced strawberry rhubarb compote I posted here a few months ago. Spiced strawberry syrup is mixed with honey and greek yogurt then frozen for a supremely satisfying creamy break from the heat. It's easy, as making popsicles should be. You could make them with any berry. You could make them with ice cream. You could add some chocolate. Nothing is off limits when it comes to the popsicle.

Spiced Vanilla Bean Strawberry Yogurt Popsicle
Makes 5 popsicles

For the spiced vanilla bean strawberry syrup
2 cups strawberries (could be frozen or fresh)
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup water
1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
3 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a medium sauce pan over high heat, mix together all ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat medium to simmer. Cook down for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced by half. Let cool to room temperature.

Greek yogurt and honey
1 1/2 cups greek yogurt
1/4 cup honey

Whisk together honey and greek yogurt. Mix in cooled strawberry syrup. Pour into popsicle molds and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until frozen.



No comments:

Post a Comment