Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cherry Almond Dutch Baby


You know how I love to start the day with a good quote. Today's inspiration comes from a wonderful book, "A Prayer for Owen Meany". This book is a must read. John Irving crafts the most lovable characters and makes you ponder the value of friendship, faith, and family. The important things, you know. Anyway, little Owen Meany gives us this gem, "If you care about something, you have to protect it. If you're lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."

How bout them apples? Are you inspired? I am. This quote makes me want to climb mountains with my husband, embrace quiet nights at home with the people I love, road trip, revel in nights on the porch reading by lantern light. For this is the way of life I love. This quote makes me want to start my own little hobby business, a bakery, call it Crumble. And that is in fact what I did. Today marks the first day Crumble baked goods will be sold in the stores I manage. Pretty exciting. Because food is a large part of the life I love, I decided to do a little something with it. A new adventure, a new project. It's a good life. Especially when filled with bake goods.

My little bakery case

So to celebrate Crumble's opening day, I made you this cherry almond dutch baby. A dutch baby is a thick eggy delicious pancake you bake in the oven. No flipping necessary. That's good stuff. In the oven it gets all crumply and golden brown. Cherries were a must given that I can't get enough of them this time of year. Add a little almond extract because cherries and almonds are a good team and you have an easy breakfast worthy of a celebration.

Cherry Almond Dutch Baby 
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen, serves 2

3 large eggs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp almond extract
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 cup sweet pitted cherries
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Whisk together eggs, sugar, flour, milk, salt, and almond extract.

In a 12 inch ovenproof fry pan, melt the butter. Add cherries and cook two minutes. Pour batter over the top and transfer to the oven. Bake 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. I had mine with maple syrup because I love maple syrup. And today we are having the courage to do what we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment