Friday, April 11, 2014

Roasted Sweet Potato and Onion Sandwich with Avocado and Sriracha Mayo


Music while cooking is mandatory. Recently Dave Matthews has taken over my Pandora because it reminds me of many wonderful summers in my youth. It makes me crave outdoor adventures, laying by a lake, and crackling campfires. What is it about music that has the power to take us back to a moment in time and feel like we are still there? Dave does that for me. Also, on the Pandora takeover, and please don't hold this one against me, is Nelly, which reminds me of high school and makes me laugh. Blake and I have spent the past week working on a puzzle and listening to Nelly Pandora, like any respectable 80 year old couple trying to reclaim their youth. I suppose Nelly is only appropriate because this May will mark 10 years since I have graduated from high school. Ten years! Makes a girl feel old, as does working on a puzzle on Friday night and the sudden urge to redecorate. Oh boy. 



But then I listened to Dave Matthews, while making this delicious sandwich and I remembered my wonderful adventurous youth, which has been rivaled by my adventurous present. Summer still means crackling campfires, outdoor adventures, and sitting on the patio watching lightning crash across the sky in a summer storm, and that's why I love it. I also really love this sandwich. It makes it on the lunch menu more often than any other item. Ten minutes of prep and thirty minutes of cook time and you have yourself a sandwich as good as any that you can buy at one of those "gourmet" sandwich shops. Just throw sliced onion and sweet potato in the oven with some oil and spices and then top the roasted vegetables with creamy avocado and sriracha for some spice. It's so good and would go quite well with an evening on the porch, while listening to some Dave Matthews or Nelly. I'm not here to judge. 

Roasted Sweet Potato and Onion Sandwich with Avocado and Sriracha Mayo
Serves 4

2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 onion, sliced
3 tbs olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
1 avocado
Sriracha 
Mayo
Spinach or other green
Rosemary sourdough bread (really any crusty bread will do, this is our favorite) 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss sweet potato rounds and onion slices with olive oil, chili powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. On a greased baking sheet, roast sweet potato and onions for 25-30 minute, stirring halfway through. 

To assemble the sandwich: toast the bread, spread one half with mayo, drizzle as much sriracha as desired over the mayo, layer on roasted vegetables, avocado, and greens. 





No comments:

Post a Comment