Sunday, January 26, 2014

Reuben with Red Onion Marmalade

My husband, Blake, walked in the other night to me in my warrior cooking outfit, which consists of ski goggles, pajamas, and a darn cute vintage apron. He took one look at me and said, "this is the photo that should go on your blog." So here is what Tuesday night looks like at our house. It may not be pretty but it's practical. I swear by ski goggles if I have to cut a lot of onions. When I forget the apron, I find myself  (and the dog) covered head to toe in a nice flour dusting. I'm at peace with myself and this outfit.


So what came out of the kitchen this night? Only the best condiments ever to grace a reuben. Who doesn't love a reuben? In our house sandwiches are king and we are constantly trying to take them to the next level of greatness. I like a sandwich with a healthy amount of spreads, cheeses, meats, and condiments. What made this rueben oh so special was the addition of the onion marmalade and homemade thousand island dressing.
 I made them the night before to allow them to meld and to make dinner the next night easy to put together. The red onion marmalade is amazing. Put it on your sandwich, put it on pork, and above all put it on this reuben. You will never go back.


Reuben with red onion marmalade 
Ingredients (makes 4 sandwiches)

Thousand Island dressing recipe to follow
Red onion marmalade recipe to follow
Rye sandwich bread
Roughly 2 cups sauerkraut depending on your preference
1/2 lb pastrami or corned beef
 Swiss cheese
2 tbs butter

First prepare your red onion marmalade and Thousand Island dressing. I prepared both the day before and both the marmalade and dressing tasted best if given an hour to meld. Recipes below.
To assemble the sandwich: slather one side of the rye bread with the dressing. Spread marmalade in a thick layer over the top, followed by the pastrami, sauerkraut, and sliced swiss cheese. Melt 1/2 tbs of the butter in a grill or fry pan. Once hot, place the sandwich in the pan and press something heavy over the top (I used a cast iron pan. Grill each side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Flip to the other side, repeat, and enjoy one of the best reubens you will ever have.


Thousand Island dressing recipe
Adapted from Kitchen treaty

1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tbs sweet pickle relish
1 shallot minced
2 tbs capers
1 clove of garlic minced
2 tsps white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
3-4 dashes Cholula (optional)

Whisk all ingredients together.

Red onion marmalade recipe
Very slightly adapted from Sunset Magazine
1 tbs butter
1 tbs olive oil
2 red onions thinly sliced
1 garlic clove minced
1/3  cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup dry fruity red wine (I used a Bordeaux, zinfandel would work great as well)

In a frying pan over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter until butter has melted. Add onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper and stir. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes. Add vinegar and wine and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about ten minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.




No comments:

Post a Comment