Thursday, January 23, 2014

Everything from Scratch (at least once): Apple Pie Bagel

About two years ago in an attempt to eliminate the excess waste and ingredients in store bought processed foods, I decided I would start making my own bread. In this house bread is a staple, we believe in carbohydrates in all their glory and the energy they give. When I ran my first marathon, I needed a breakfast that worked and what I found worked best was a piece of whole wheat toast or muffin and a spoon full of nut butter. This regiment powers me through everything plus I really enjoy it. This breakfast became even better when I started baking bread because nothing is more satisfying and delicious then fresh bread. 

With bread I had an epiphany, I can make everything from scratch, and if I do I can tailor my food to my cravings and use ingredients I love and trust. So in the past few years I have made loaves of bread, cheese, pickles, tortillas, pasta, brewed beer, and most recently made bagels. Apple pie bagels to be exact, which I stumbled upon from a favorite blogger of mine, Bakeaholic Mama. I modified it slightly to include mostly whole wheat. These are chewy, apple packed, morning delights. 

Apple Pie Bagels 
Modified Slightly from Bakeaholic Mama 
Makes 10-12 bagels 

Ingredients:
3 tbs butter
2 cups apple cider
3 cups whole wheat flour 
1 cup white flour  
1/4 cup brown sugar  
1 tsp salt  
1 tbs pumpkin pie spice  
2 1/2 tsp instant dry  yeast 
1 cup peeled and diced apples (I love Pink Lady apples)  

 For the topping:
1 egg white 
1/4 cup room temperature butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Melt butter in microwave and set aside to cool to room temperature. Proof yeast by mixing until dissolved with a cup of the apple cider warmed in the microwave to 75-80 degrees (warm to the touch but not hot). After about 3-5 minutes the yeast apple cider mixture should be bubbly. 
In the bowl of your electric mixer add 1 cup of the wheat flour, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture, remaining cup of cider, pumpkin pie spice, and apples until combined. 
With mixer on medium add a 1/2 cup of the remaining wheat and white flour until dough comes together and is barely sticky. This may require adding more or less flour then mentioned in the recipe. Just add until the dough forms with the barely sticky consistency. You can also use all white or all wheat flour depending on your preference.  
Have the mixer knead the dough on high for 5-10 minutes until dough is springy to the touch.***
Place dough in a buttered bowl and allow to rise until doubled (1-1 1/2 hours). 
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Punch down dough after it has doubled and form into 10-11 equal sized balls. With you fingers poke a hole in the middle of each ball and stretch until they are your desired bagel size. Allow dough to rise for another 10 minutes while your bring a large pot of water to boil and prepare the topping. 
For the topping mix together butter, flour, sugar, and salt with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. 
Once the water boils, drop bagels in three at a time, and boil for 30 seconds on each side. Remove with a spatula. 
After all the bagels have been boiled, place on parchment covered baking sheets, brush with the egg white, and sprinkle over crumble mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

***Note: If you don't have an electric mixer, you can mix the dough ingredients with a spatula and knead by hand. Kneading by hand will take about twenty minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment