Thursday, January 7, 2016

Beef stroganoff


I'm supposed to be sharing something healthy with you today. I'm sure of it. Those New Year's resolutions have yet to wane. I will say this though-if you want to eat healthier, I think that starts with cooking meals at home. No fad diet necessary. No silly cleanses. This is a simple place to start. Cook at home more often. Cooking at home is not only better for your health than eating out but cooking with others and sharing a meal brings us together. All good things for the New Year.

Growing up beef stroganoff was my favorite family meal. I have requested stroganoff for all of my birthdays. In fact, next week I turn 30. 30! And you can bet I will be eating stroganoff. And cake! And pizza! And I will drink wine! I intend to celebrate all week with good food.

Stroganoff is a comfort food. We don't eat red meat often but I make an exception for stroganoff. This stroganoff is slightly adapted from my mom's version. The worchestire sauce and mustard are new additions and I love them. My husband and I agreed that this was our favorite stroganoff recipe to date. Our only complaint is that the beef is a little tough. Next time I intend on trying this baby in the slow cooker.

Beef stroganoff
Adapted from Bon Appetit, serves 4

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound crimini mushrooms, rough chopped
2 teaspoons thyme
1 pound top round steak, cut into 1" cubes
3 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons worchestire sauce
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
12 ounces egg noodles
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Stirring occasionally cook until the onions are translucent, 7-8 minutes. Add thyme and stir to combine.

Add beef to the skillet and cook until brown on each side. About 3-4 minutes a side.

To skillet add broth and cook until reduced by almost half, about 20 minutes.

While the broth is reducing, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Once cooked and strained mix the noodles with the butter.

Once the broth has reduced, add to the skillet sour cream, worcheshire, and mustard. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon stroganoff over the top of the buttered noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment