Saturday, March 7, 2015

Fontina, roasted garlic, and kale toast with an over easy egg


Once upon a time, I didn't like my eggs any way but scrambled and even then, I didn't like them all that much. Now I want to put eggs on everything. I've also been having strong cravings for oatmeal. I think I have eaten oatmeal about 5 times in entire life. What are these cravings? Does it have something to do with getting old? Last week I realized that there are a number of things in my life that happened a decade ago. I can now measure things in decades. Crazy.

This dinner came at a time when I needed something easy for dinner and something centered around my beloved egg. Throw some garlic in the oven for 40 minutes, saute up some kale and mushrooms, put it on toast, throw some cheese on top, broil it in the oven until bubbly, and toss a fried egg on top. Boom! That's what I call 30 minute meals (minus the hands off garlic roasting time). Take that Rachel Ray.

Fontina, roasted garlic, and kale toast with an over easy egg
Adapted from How Sweet It Is, serves 4

2 whole heads of garlic
3 tablespoon olive oil
2 bunches of kale, rough chopped
1/2 pound of crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese
8 eggs
Crusty bread
Hot sauce for serving, if you wish

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut of the top (narrower part) of the garlic bulbs and wrap in foil. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the cloves are soft. Let cool. Once cool, push the garlic cloves out and smash with a fork. 

While the garlic roasts, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add kale and mushrooms and stir until softened, 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.

Put oven broiler on high. Toast generous slices of bread in a toaster. Place toast on a baking sheet. Spread roasted garlic over the bottom of the toast. Stack kale mixture on top and sprinkle with cheese. Put in the oven and keep a close eye on it. You want the cheese to get bubbly, which takes about 2-3 minutes but can go quickly to burnt, if you don't watch it closely. Pull out of the oven. 

In the same skillet you cooked the kale in, heat the last 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Carefully crack your eggs into the skillet and let cook until the egg white sets, about 2 minutes. Flip the egg and cook, until your desired doneness. Medium soft took about 4 on the other side for me. Put on top of your toast and splash some hot sauce on top. 






No comments:

Post a Comment