Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Blueberry Lemon Cookies


I told Blake "these are healthy cookies". Which received a look of disbelief so I modified that statement some. These are relatively healthy cookies. Blake ate one for breakfast. We took them hiking so now I'm also calling them an energy food. They powered us up to 13,200 feet. On a hike in which I was brave and daring.

Daring is not my middle name. I love to hike but until my husband I did not love scrambling up boulders, bushwhacking, and sliding down snow fields. Then one day we were in the mountains of New Zealand on a rocky trail, in the rain, in ankle deep water, and I was cold. Never have I ever made it so fast out of the mountains, skipping from slippery rock to slippery rock. It was on that hike I decided I was brave. On this most recent hike, I was the one that suggested the more direct but trail less route down the mountain and I was the one that left my husband in the dust skipping up to the top (don't tell him I said that). 

So if I can decide to be brave, then I can also decide these cookies are healthy and an energy food (yes, yes, relatively). These cookies are pretty superb. We ate a dozen in three days. The cookies are cakey and moist. We all know lemons and blueberries are a match made in heaven. Eat them for breakfast. Eat them on a hike. Maybe they will make you brave and daring too. 

Blueberry Lemon Cookies 

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbs lemon juice
10 tbs butter, softened 
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries 

Lemon glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Juice from 1/2 a lemon 

Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. 

In a large bowl, combine sugar, lemon zest, and juice. Use your fingers to rub sugar and lemon zest together. With an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium speed, beat softened butter into the sugar, until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add the flour until just combined. Mix in the blueberries by hand. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour and up to overnight. 

Preheat oven 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop about 3 tablespoons of dough onto the parchment. Bake 20 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

For the glaze, mix together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Use a fork to drizzle on top of the cooled cookies.  



No comments:

Post a Comment