Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Bananas Foster Bread


Today I'm remembering to appreciate and acknowledge the everyday things in life that I love. One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, which goes a little something like this, "When each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises." I try to take to that to heart everyday but as we all know, sometimes life bogs us down and we forget to stop and appreciate. In my everyday routine, I love my quite mornings with a book and some tea, my morning mountain runs, the moments my husband and I take in our chaotic day-to-day lives to talk and enjoy each others' presence, afternoon walks with our dog, and of course, all the wonderful food cooked and shared in our kitchen. I count myself lucky that I enjoy so much about my everyday life.

This bananas foster bread is another reminder of the importance of taking a moment everyday to enjoy something spectacular. I love all desserts with flour. Cookies, cake, and sweet quick breads just happen to be three of my favorite things in this world. I also think bananas foster is pretty spectacular, especially with some really good vanilla ice cream. Luckily for me I live in a world where no one will stop me from combining my love of quick bread with my love of bananas foster. The concept is simple, make your bananas foster over the stove, allow to cool, and mix with some flour and baking soda. Cooking the bananas on the stove top with sugar and butter creates a wonderful caramelized flavor and of course, the addition of rum makes almost anything better. So make this bread and enjoy a slice as a reminder of the good things that  happen in our lives when the sun rises.

Bananas Foster Bread

6 tbs butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
5 tbs rum
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsps cinnamon
5 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1" rounds
1 3/4 all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place the oven rack in the middle.

In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted mix in sugar, rum, vanilla, and cinnamon. Wait for mixture to get bubbly and then add the bananas. Cook bananas until they begin to soften and caramelize slightly 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

While waiting for the bananas foster mixture to cool, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Once bananas foster has cooled, mash together with a potato masher. The bananas and liquid should combine but a few banana lumps are just fine. Whisk eggs into the mashed bananas foster.

Pour the bananas foster mash into the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined.

Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray and pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment